Here's how to create a label that you can add to any of your emails:
- On the left side of the page, click 'More' at the bottom of your labels list. (If you don't see "More," grab the gray dividing line with your cursor and drag it down to show more labels.)
- Click 'Create new label'
- Type the name of your new label and click 'Create'
You can also create a new label for a message in your Inbox by selecting the box next to the message, clicking the Label button above your message list, and then clicking Create new.
You can add a label to your messages in several ways:
- When viewing your Inbox, select the checkbox next to those messages, click the Labels button, and click on the label you want. (Or check the boxes next to several labels and click 'Apply')
- When viewing a message, click the 'Labels' button to add a label to the message. You can also click and drag a label from the left side, and drop it on the message.
- When writing a new message, use that button to add a label before sending your message.
To edit a label through your Labels list:
- Click the square to the left of a label in your Labels list. A color palette opens.
- Select 'Rename' at the bottom of the palette.
- Enter the new label name, and click 'OK'
To edit a label through the Labels tab of your Gmail Settings
- Click the gear icon in the upper right, then select 'Settings'
- Select the 'Labels' tab.
- Hover over the current label name and click on the name. A cursor should appear that allows you to edit the current label name.
- Click away from the label name and the edited name will be saved and updated.